Addicted to the Food Network!

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Baby don't you cry, I'm gonna bake a pie....

OK, so can you tell I just watched The Waitress and now that song it stuck in my head? Well, I didn't make any pies from the movie, but I did make a pie...a Shepherds Pie. Now, everyone has an idea of what a Shepherds Pie is. There are many controversies over whether it should have carrots or no carrots, peas or no peas, gravy or no gravy, and on and on..... The basic concept is simple though: Meat, gravy. veggies and topped with mashed potatoes, browned to perfection. My favorite is simple, American style...and by that I mean with good 'ol Cream of Mushroom soup! 


Shepherds Pie:

1 lb Hamburger
1 lg onion, diced
1 can french green beans
1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
4 cups mashed potatoes
2 T butter
salt & pepper

Brown hamburger and onions in cast iron skillet. Mix in green beans and soup. Salt & pepper to taste. Top with mashed potatoes. Top with butter. Bake in 325 oven for 45 minutes. Enjoy!


So I leave you to make your own judgement on my version of this great weeknight, one-dish comfort meal. I now invite you to share your version! Show us how you interpret what Shepherds Pie is!


No comments:

Post a Comment