Addicted to the Food Network!

Friday, March 19, 2010

DDD Tour tastic...episode one

I watch a variety of shows on The Food Network, but one of the ones I Tivo consistently is Diners, Drive-ins and Dives with Guy Fieri. It is always fun, fresh and real, good food. I personally think you should always check to see where Guy's been when going to visit a new city! He always picks joints that you may NEVER pull into without a reccomendation from someone. Well, I certainly trust Guy's reccomendation, so Amanda and I have been visiting the DDD locales here in South Florida. Here is a peak into where we have been so far:

First off, Grampa's Bakery in Dania. Good 'ol fashioned diner food, with a to-die-for bakery attached. Yes, the Rueben Sandwich was good, and the free basket of danishes a nice touch, but the bakery! It is really hard to decide when looking at two huge cases of desserts which sweet treat to get, but I ultimately decided on a Black n White Cookie. I mean, a huge, cake like cookie with chocolate and vanilla frosting on top? perfect!

Next, we tried Havana Hideout. Lively little Cuban  place with a outside patio perfect for sipping sangria on a Sunday afternoon. Of course, everyplace on DDD has a twist, and this one is, the "dining area" is outside on sand, and the kitchen is a trailer. Add live music, and great food, and I will definitely be going back! What was fun was, on the menu, you can "Get what Guy got." A sampler of all the things he tried while there. Of course that's what I got, and it was all tasty! Located in Lake Worth, this place is a must see!

Next, we ventured into Hollywood to try Sonny's Famous Steak Hoagies. Small little dive in a strip mall, you could drive by it a million times and never think about stopping...well, I'm glad Guy told us all about it! It is very inexpensive, good food, great portion size and friendly staff. I got a Steak Sandwich with onions, provolone and sauce on the side. They put a whole bowl of hot peppers on your table to garnish your sandwich, which is a great touch.  I really enjoyed the sandwich and could eat them often! What I can't figure out is, even though I have washed my hands a few dozen times, why do my hands still smell like steak deliciousness??? Makes me wonder what it is doing to my insides right now......


Ok, I still have a few more spots to try, as I follow in Guy's footsteps. Do you have a gem of a place you think should check out? Tell him here, or just tell me! I'd love to know where you eat that is off the norm.

No comments:

Post a Comment