Addicted to the Food Network!

Friday, November 26, 2010

Strike two, Big Daddy

In the spirit of watching approximately 300 hours of Thanksgiving recipes on Food Network these past two weeks, and since I made a very traditional Thanksgiving feast, I thought I'd try at least one of the recipes I saw on the day after. Of all the recipes I saw, only one really caught my attention. It was on one of the Dear Food Network, prepared by Aaron McCargo Jr.  His recipe was 2 in 1 Sausage Stuffed Stuffing. I thought I'd give Big Daddy another try, since the last time I tried a recipe of his it didn't work out so well for me. Well, Can't say this one was any better. The concept sounded delicious... stuffing wrapped around a ball of sausage sitting in a bowl of gravy. What could be bad about that?  Well, here's how it broke down:

First I browned up the sausage balls


Then, you use the same pan to make the gravy:
Easy pan gravy, but he called for oil, instead of butter to make the rue, so quite frankly it tasted, well, oily to me. Disappointment #1.
Then, I covered the sausage in (gasp!) box stuffing....still can't figure out why a 'chef' recipe calls for box stuffing, but anyways. Then, dip in flour and fry up.
This is where Disappointment #2 comes in. The stuffing balls proceeded to fall apart right there in the pan and it got worse from there.
Not only did they fall apart, but they tasted like oil. FAIL.
So I tried just browning them in a dry pan.
Those came out only slightly better. They looked better, but still fell apart the second you touched one.


So I tried to do it the way Big Daddy had showed it, floating in a bowl of the gravy. I figured there must have been a reason he did that instead of dipping in the gravy...

Only slightly better, I have to say. Still tasted like a bowl of oil.
 
Sorry, Big Daddy, but overall, today was a HUGE disappointment. How could something that sounded so good come out so wrong?! I guess next time I'll just stick with my girl Sunny Anderson and her Fried Stuffing with Cranberry Pesto I made last year.

 











No comments:

Post a Comment